My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
Dr. Joseph K. Myers, Ph.D.
"He is very helpful. He always wanted to help and
make sure everyone was understanding the material.
He also explained the math very well and in a way
that I could understand it. He always responded
quickly to my emails. I am going to recommend my
friends to take classes from him. He has been a
very helpful and excellent professor."
—Business Calculus student comment
- Service and purpose: The greatest things you will do in life are the things that no one asked you to do and no one paid you to do, but which God laid on your heart.
- Humility and vision: Your dream of becoming the teacher of your teachers tomorrow can only come true if you begin by being the student of your students today.
- Creativity and excellence: Good things are too good to fit into a template.
- To give glory and honor to God through all that I am and all that I do;
- To contribute to the students of Friends University, Wichita State University, and all people in
the greater local and worldwide community, in my role as a faculty member and beyond;
- To efficiently solve scientific research problems via applied mathematical analysis and share my discoveries with others;
- To create artistically beautiful and personally meaningful photographs of people, places, and things, celebrating God's creation, including the accomplishments, lives, and work of children and adults, athletes and everyone.
- To make a positive difference for good, truth, beauty, and Jesus Christ that will help make everyone in the world be happy—in this world and in the world to come.
Honors and awards
- 99.9% top-percentile national ranking of 25,011 university instructors evaluated in teaching quality and effectiveness
- Chandler B. Hatfield Scholarship for future teachers
- Helen Teter Zebold Math & Science Award
- Winner of the first-ever annual Kansas Sports Photo of the Year award
- Photography selected for the inside front cover of the official Rand McNally / Walmart millennium
edition U.S. Road Atlas and featured by the Chicago Tribune in Gatorade National Player of the Year Photo Gallery
- 2000.07.18. easy.pm Perl pragma: An XML Compatible Comprehensive CGI Interface Module for Perl That's as Easy to Use as "use easy;" and Provides Four Times the Performance of Lincoln D. Stein's CGI.pm
- 2001.05.18. Web Cipher 2 Algorithm: Client Side, Cryptographically Secure, High Speed Document Encryption Technology
- 2002.10.10. Alpha Crypt--Strong Text Encryption for Emails and Private Messages
- 2004.07.08. sort: An Improved Nonparametric Hybrid Quicksort Algorithm for System-level C Libraries and Unix
- 2004.07.17. Optimization of Algorithms Resulting in 189x Improvement in Base64 Encoding Speed
- 2005.05.06. Lossy Image Compression and Image Cell Decomposition for Continuous-tone Images
- 2005.05.07. Two Lossy Compression Techniques for Continuous Images
- 2005.08.08. Iterative Methods for Sorting
- 2005.12.18. Orthogonal Regression: minF, Improved Curve Fitting Function for Quadratic Regression
- 2005.12.24. HTTP/1.1 Web Server Optimized for Unix and FreeBSD
- 2006.05.02. Theoretical Results in Inverse Problems for Size, Solvability, and Uniqueness in the P-N Junction and Doping Profile of Semiconductors
- 2007.04.27. Fast Combinatorial Genetic Input Recognition Algorithm and Internet Applications to HTTP web servers
- 2007.04.27. Uniqueness of Inverse Source Problems for some Semilinear Elliptic Equations
- 2008.11.01. Editor of the Holy Bible online at ToGod.us
- 2008.12.01. Editor of Mathematical Inverse Problems (United States)
- 2009.05.08. Uniqueness of source for a class of semilinear elliptic equations. Inverse Problems 25 (2009) 065008
- 2009.08.27. Inverse Doping Profile Analysis for Semiconductor Quality Control. (Ph.D. Dissertation: view 10-page abstract)
- 2012.08.31. On the inverse doping profile problem (with Victor Isakov). Inverse Problems and Imaging (IPI). Pages: 465-486, Volume 6, Issue 3, August 2012
- 2003 Associate of Mathematics and Science; concentrations
in Chemistry, History, Mathematics, and Physics; Butler County Community College
- 2005 Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, minor in Chemistry, concentrations
in English and Psychology; Wichita State University
- 2006 Master of Science in Mathematics, thesis title:
Theoretical Results in Inverse Problems for Size, Solvability, and Uniqueness in the P-N Junction and Doping Profile of Semiconductors;
- 2009 Ph.D. in Applied Mathematics, advisor Victor Isakov,
concentrations Numerical Analysis and Inverse Problems for Partial Differential Equations,
Inverse Doping Profile Analysis for Semiconductor Quality Control; WSU
My teaching quality and effectiveness is placed at the highest percentile, 99.9%,
by independent statistical analysis from over 25,000 evaluations of college professors.
I teach a variety of university mathematics and statistics courses. I have also tutored over 5,000 students.
Here are some student comments or messages
about my teaching and tutoring:
Mr. Myers is a very enthusiastic teacher who cares a lot about his
students. It is very refreshing to have a teacher like Mr. Myers. He made me
want to do better and try harder b/c I knew that he cared so much. Thank
The teacher was one of the nicest guys and I loved how passionate he was about Math and teaching. He was very loyal and dedicated! Email was great b/c I got all my assignments there when I was gone and test preps before every test. Mr. Myer is the BEST!
Instructor was really helpful and loves to help. He rocks! Would recommend to others and would love to take another class!
The instructor was extremely nice and helped his students as much as possible. I really liked how nice he was and how he was always in a good mood. It was very refreshing. I also liked that he brought us food and drinks. I really enjoyed taking this class! :)
Joseph, Thank you so much for all of you help this semester. You were very helpful to me and you really helped me understand the concepts. You are a very generous person and I truly appreciate all of your help.
Thank you for all the effort you have put into teaching this class. It really means a lot. I can tell you really care about the success of each one of us. It gives us a lot of motivation to do well when we know you will be proud of us. :)
I thought the instructor was very enthusiastic, friendly, and knowledgable. The course challenged me intellectually.
The course was challenging. The instructor was wonderful and very respectful and helped anyone and everyone.
It was presented very well. Nothing could be improved. Was willing to give you one on one help. Very good. Enjoyed the class immensely.
Mr. Myers was very kind to us and did everything he could to help us succeed. This was the best math class ever.
Joseph, thank you so much for all of your help this semester. You were very helpful to me and you really helped me understand the concepts. You are a very generous person and I truly appreciate all of your help.
And, here are some selected teaching achievements:
- Helped seniors, returning adults, and other nontraditional students complete
college algebra requirements by teaching a special evening class incorporating extra review
time. Successful completion rate was over 76.2%, compared to a rate of less than 6.7%
for the same course taught by a different instructor in 2006.
- Completed first year of teaching at Wichita State University with an SPTE
teaching quality ranking of 99.6% compared to a median score of 50.0% of over 25,000
college instructors and professors (results obtained and certified by the Social Science
- Taught college algebra with the lowest drop rate (0%) of all WSU algebra
- SPTE teaching quality ranking increased to 99.9% (highest percentile possible),
completed the year with the highest student evaluations of all math faculty, ranging from
97.5% to 99.9% (in comparison to all math and natural sciences course at WSU).
- Taught an evening college trigonometry class with a majority of nontraditional
students, and yet the lowest drop rate (-9.375%) of all WSU math classes.enrollment actually
increased until it reached fire code capacity.
- Pioneered and coordinated new "PACE in Eight" curriculum for Friends University in the
areas of Mathematics, Science, Business, and Technology.
- Developed new Digital Photography and state-of-the-art Computer, Internet, and Web Design courses,
- Taught online math courses for the first time and used
experimental teaching methods, thereby improving student
engagement by over 450%, compared to norms established
by a pool of other online math instructors in the preceding
Grants and fellowships
Some of my research has been supported in part by
- NSF grant DMS 07-07734
- John and Kay Morse Graduate Fellowship
Selected projects completed
- Completed inverse doping profile analysis for semiconductor quality control
- Increased Internet web server capacity from 20K to 35K hits/sec by combinatorial input recognition;
presented this research at the Kansas Capitol in Topeka in 2007
- Applied nonparametric statistical optimization to improve the quicksort algorithm
- Enhanced image compression by automatic decomposition along discontinuities
- Created client and server-side software for Internet E-Commerce, including the ten-year bug-free CGI module for Perl, easy.pm
- Designed major components of 721+ websites
- Friends University:
Academic/Faculty Roles: Associate Professor of Science and Mathematics;
Area Coordinator of Math, Science, Business, and Technology;
Program for Adult College Education Wichita, Lenexa, Topeka, and Online;
Assistant Director of the Student Academic Resource Center;
Director of ADA Disability Services;
Yearbook Sponsor and Advisor;
Technology Steering Committee;
Adult and Professional Studies Division;
Adult and Professional Studies, Graduate School, and Graduate and Professional Studies Councils;
R&G and Srategic Planning Committee;
Tenure, Promotion, and Commitee Assignment Committee;
Foundations of Excellence Team Member;
All Students Dimension Committee Co-Chair;
Academic Technology Committee (Chair);
MBA Business Analytics Curriculum and Course Developer;
MS in Cyber Security Project Director and Curriculum Developer (aligned with standards for future NSA Center of Academic Excellence designation in Cyber Defense);
- Wichita State University: Athletic Academic Services
- Personal/non-profit organizational: Freelance/non-profit photographer,
web designer, and
mathematical analysis / inverse problem consultant
- Seventeen years of part-time and/or full-time professional photography
- Sixteen years of professional writing
- Fourteen years of publishing scientific and technical papers (computer science and higher-level mathematics)
- Eight years of university-level teaching
- Photography services—Your Best Photographer for Every Event
- Kansas Athletics—Performance data, statistical analysis, and photography for Kansas athletes
- Applied math and numerical analysis consultation—
Solving Scientific Research Problems in
Industry, Manufacturing, Production, and Finance by
Also, I am webmaster for over 100+ domains currently and more than 1,109 total in the past.
including telephone companies (U.S.),
storage and delivery networks (U.S.),
social networking sites (Chile),
major browsers (Firefox, etc.),
operating system vendors (Apple),
Of special interest,...
Kansas 2015 State Track and Field High School Results Search Engine
All code written and © 2015 by Joseph K. Myers—all rights reserved.
And if I have time left over...
then I enjoy
- Singing, especially with various choirs,
- Running--I run a minimum of over two miles every day, except for Sunday, without misssing since December 5, 2005 (when I only ran 1.5 miles in the snow and stopped because I had to tutor someone)--,
- Playing the piano,
- Gardening (food, flowers, and trees),
- Shooting hoops, due to the inspiration and friendship of the many basketball players I tutor,
- Finding bargains,
- Giving hours and hours on end of free tutoring in many subjects, and math help in particular, at the Math Lab and the Writing / Resource Center, and
- Being with my family.
Even if I don't have time, I enjoy most of all worshipping and loving God in all that I do, trying to bring others to salvation through
Jesus Christ, reading the Bible, delighting in God, and waiting for him to give me all the desires of my
heart, ultimately being with Him in Heaven.
© 1999-2015 Joseph K. Myers, jkm at josephmyers.com
Thou wilt shew me the path of life:
in thy presence is fulness of joy;
at thy right hand there are pleasures